Mika is one of those world-reknown stylists who make you feel like you are not just having a “haircut” but some real art and science are being dropped on your head. She is famous for a reason. The woman knows hair – everything about it. How it lays, how it acts, what it needs and most of all how her cut will best serve you.
When I sat in her chair (At the lovely uber-fancy Kim Vo Salon in the Montage hotel spa in Bev Hills) she did an extremely thorough intake: what the problems were, what she could do, what the next few months might look like, how it will sit, dry, and behave if it was cut like x, y or z. This is the kind of attention every stylist should give to a client.
My issues, besides the straw-like ends from having my hair very bleached out (which I friggen love love love thank you to the one and only Dani Hernandez at Jonathan on CivicCenter Drive) but my last cut was done with a razor and there was a dramatic V in the back. Too much, I think. Mika agreed. She decided to soften it (not blunt it as that would have made it too short) and unify the lengths so they flowed. She fixed (and I mean fixed, as I had cut them myself) my strange bang situation and the overall cut was astonishing brilliant.
Oh, she cuts hair dry – straightening it first. This is her thing – because it allows her to see the hair as it lives on your head during the day. I loved my dry cut. It made total sense. I could also see the final story emerging as it was being told, so to speak.
I am going to finish out my year with Mika – until I simply HAVE to try someone else for a review. But I am happy as a clam and I am not budging.
Mika Fowler at Kim Vo
225 N Canon Dr.
Beverly Hills, CA 90210
oh, here are some of her regular clients: Olivia Munn, Alison Brie, Emma Roberts, Annalynne McCord, Malin Ackerman, Rosario Dawson, Cameron Monaghan, Emanuelle Chriqui, Nina Dobrev, Booboo Stewart, Fivel Stewart, Camila Ludenton, Carrie Preston, Ali Fedotowsky, Kyle Richards, Joanna Krupa and Cassie Cserbo
We all have them, those pesky ingrown hairs that come along with shaving and waxing. Stop them before they start with these tips and tricks from Kimberly Sampson, National Training Director for emerginC.
- Exfoliate skin 1-2 days prior to shaving or waxing. Exfoliation helps to remove dead skin cells, oil and debris that may get trapped into hair follicles.
- Shave in the direction of hair growth.
- Apply soothing aloe, botanical oils and/or tea extracts to skin after shaving, waxing to help prevent skin irritation and ingrowns.
- Natural and organic antiseptic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory ingredients such as tea tree help prevent ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Apply products with tea tree oil 1-3 days after shaving/waxing to prevent ingrown hairs.
She also recommends the following products from the emerginC line for preventing ingrown hairs:
- emerginC scientific organics ginger-Lime sugar scrub ($45) -Use one day prior to waxing to help exfoliate.
- emerginC scientific organics at-home facial peel + clarifying kit ($90) – Use the clarifying pads 2-3 days prior to waxing to help prevent ingrowns. Bonus: the clarifying pad contains tea tree which is EXCELLENT post-waxing to prevent ingrown hairs and razor bumps.
- emerginC scientific organics coconut-argan body oil ($54 )- Nourishing botanical oils help calm irritation associated with post-waxing and the botanical oils help “remove” any wax residue.
- emerginC d-red daytime emulsion ($69.50) – Can be used to calm irritation associated with waxing.
- emerginC aromatic cream tea cleanser ($37)- White, green and red tea extracts makes the aromatic cream tea a great “mini” mask treatment for redness and irritation associated with shaving/waxing.
SERIOUS EFFING LOVING THIS!
Kelly Osbourne’s lavender locks were taken from a blunt-banged ballerina bun to a flawless faux-hawk by the talented Frankie Hernandez, stylist at Mèche Salon, LA’s premier full-service salon. Love how she’s rockin 2 dramatically different styles - derived from the same cut.
Only scary thing is now I’m tempted!!!